Tuesday, August 24, 2010

When will I travel again?


Dan and I watched a movie last night. It was "Memoirs of a Geisha." It's a few years old. I picked it up at the library because I remember reading the book for book club and wanting to see the movie. The story was as good as I remember. What caught my eye this time around was the landscape. "Memoirs" was set in Japan around World War II. The opening scene shows the ocean. It was rainy and dark, but it made me long to be at the ocean again. I was also fascinated by the gardens, the architecture, and the clothing.
We knew something the day we came home, or maybe even before. Our bodies may stop traveling, but our minds will not. Now everything reminds us, calls us to come see it, to travel. For as many places in America that we dove headfirst into the culture and scenery, there are thousands of more places around the world to be discovered. Even in America we could do the trip all over again and see the same places but in different seasons. Last year I lived a dream. This year I can only dream.

No comments: