Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Before She Grows Up

Maybe it will happen next year, possibly the year after that. My 9-year old daughter will start that separation thing. It's natural, it's okay. I understand it. I know this pre-teen thing must run its course all the way through high school. But my little girl will be a different person by then. She won't say "Mommy, can you wash my hair?" or "Mommy, let's make a craft together." She won't ride bikes with us after supper or go to the drive-in movies or plant a garden with me anymore. I have just a year or two more to connect with this girl. Or to make an impression on her. Here's what I'd like her to know before that happens.

I'll always be there for you. I do want to spend more time with you. Your ideas are great. I'm so glad I have you in my life. I've learned so much from you.

After making this realization just months ago, I knew I had to spend as much time as I possibly could with her. A year-long trip around the country is the perfect opportunity to connect with my little girl before she grows up.

No comments: